THE PURPOSE OF THE MARS SOCIETY IS TO FURTHER THE EXPLORATION AND SETTLEMENT OF THE RED PLANET.
The Mars Society is the world's largest and most influential space advocacy organization dedicated to the human exploration and settlement of the planet Mars. Established by Dr. Robert Zubrin and others in 1998, the group works to educate the public, the media and government on the benefits of exploring Mars and creating a permanent human presence on the Red Planet.
Mars Society activities include:
- Mars analog simulations in the Utah Desert and the Canadian Arctic
- The Rover Challenge Series
- Public outreach and educational programs
- Political advocacy efforts
- Privately-funded research
- Chapter meetings in the U.S. and around the world
- The Annual International Mars Society Conventions
The UK society was formed in the same year as the group established by Dr. Zubrin.
Mars Society UK is run by:
There are numerous Mars Society chapters around the globe, ranging from country-wide to region-specific. Mars Society UK covers Great Britain and Northern Ireland, along with sister chapters covering specific regions.
UK sister chapters include: